The following post was written by Chelsea Brooks, writer of the blog “From Our Family To Yours”. Be sure to check out her secret family recipe blog and follow her!
Well hello there!
My name is Chelsea and I’m VERY excited that Ms. Blondeonabudget herself invited me to guest blog on ‘Blonde On A Budget’ this week! I confess that I’m a bottle blonde; I have been getting professional highlights on my brunette locks for years. This blog has opened me up to the world of home dying and after reading ‘How To Highlight Without The High Price’, I think I may have to try the DIY method. I love this blog which is why I can’t wait to share my post with you!
One of my favorite things to do is cook, and as a ‘blonde’ on a budget (and as an unemployed student), my specialty is cooking great meals for very low prices. If you haven’t tried spaghetti squash, you are in for a treat. This is one of my favorite meals and it costs less then $2.50 a serving (with a 4 pound squash)!!! It’s also very healthy. Regular pasta runs about 370 calories per 100 grams where as spaghetti squash is a mere 31 calories! Plus, it packs has a ton of healthy nutrients. I hope you enjoy this delicious, healthy and cheap treat as much as I do!
Baked Spaghetti Squash with a Garlic Butter sauce
Ingredients: (serves 2)
– Spaghetti Squash
– 2 large cloves of garlic, minced
– 3 tbsp of butter
– ½ tsp salt
– 1 tsp oregano
– 1 tsp basil (or fresh basil if you have!)
– Chili flakes (to taste)
– Parmesan cheese (to taste)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. Cut the spaghetti squash in half and clear out the seeds
3. Stab the rind side of the squash with a fork/knife or IT WILL EXPLODE. This also helps release liquid from the squash
4. Bake, flesh side down, for 45 minutes – 1 hour, depending on the size of the squash
5. Take a fork and pull at the insides of the squash. The squash should pull away creating spaghetti-like strings
6. Heat a pan with the butter and minced garlic over medium heat. When the garlic becomes fragrant, add the salt, oregano, basil, and chili flakes to the mixture. Add spaghetti squash strands and mix well.
7. Top with Parmesan cheese and enjoy!
See, how easy was that? The best part of this dish is that you can be creative and add whatever you would like! If you’re a vegetable lover, add some freshly chopped tomato. If you like spice, toss in some hot sauce. Be creative! Thank you so much for having me, and if you liked my recipe, feel free to visit my own blog for more delicious treats!
Leave a comment on how the recipe turned out for you!
Happy Eating 🙂