Upon the suggestion of a friend and rave reviews online – even for oily, acne-prone skin, I decided to try washing my face with coconut oil. It is something I already had in my house, I didn’t have to go out and buy a new product, and compared to other skin care products – it was super cheap!
My skin type
- Warm coconut oil in hand so it melts into a liquid
- Rub all over face same as washing with soap
- Wet a wash cloth with hot water, wring out and lay over face for 15-30 seconds (let oil steam and sink in)
- Rinse wash cloth and wipe off coconut oil from face, repeating 2-3 times as necessary
- Made skin feel soft but really, no more than using moisturizer after any face wash
- Rubbing coconut oil and a warm wash cloth on face feels very nice and luxurious
- Amazing at removing makeup – especially eye makeup
- Didn’t feel very nice after washing, feels like you hadn’t washed your face just applied moisturizer (predictably)
- If you inevitably got any in your hair, feels absolutely disgusting and is hard to get out without showering/washing hair
- Made me break out on my chin and forehead when I very rarely break out since my acne cleared up using Clindoxyl gel
Would I Recommend: No, at least not for people with my skin type. It would be better to have continued my experiment for 4-6 weeks to verify causation however my skin was very out-of-characteristically breaking out and this was the only thing that had changed in my routine, I just didn’t care to see how bad it could get. As soon as I stopped using coconut oil, my skin cleared right back up.
I really wanted to like it, as it is something I buy anyway and feels nice when washing the face but unfortunately it didn’t work out so well, at least not for me.
I would love to hear your comments if you have ever tried washing your face with coconut oil or any other face wash product you might recommend in the comments below!
Happy Beautifying 🙂
Photo credit: Huffington Post